Monday, February 20, 2012

Why should we teach grammar?

     When many teachers begin a unit of grammar instruction, they will have at least one student who raises his or her hand and asks, "Why do we need to know this?" In a way, if a teacher gets this question, the lesson is doomed from the start. The question insinuates that the material has not been introduced in a way that promotes enthusiasm and that engages the students' interests and needs. McKenna and Robinson (2005) cite the following quote by Sternberg (1987): "'In most of one's life, one learns because one wants to or because one truly has to, or both'" (p. 285).  If the students cannot see a meaningful reason for learning it, they probably won't learn it, at least not well. Instead of shoving the grammar lesson down the students' throats and ignoring their legitimate resistance and frustration, a teacher should ask him or herself if the lesson is really necessary. Does grammar really need to be taught? The answer is yes, but that doesn't mean that grammar needs to be boring and frustrating.

     As an English teacher, I often hear the complaints: "Young people can't write anymore!" "I sure hope you plan on teaching grammar. I've got young lawyers at my firm who graduated from top law schools but can't write a proper sentence!" The research on whether or not people are worse writers today is mixed. I know that my students who have received good grammar instruction not only write better but are easier to teach and improve at a faster rate than students without formal grammar instruction. Those who with good grammar knowledge are more skilled at taking their ideas and breaking them down into clear sentences. Also, I can give them concrete recommendations for improvement, such as telling them to turn a long sentence into a compound sentence or to begin some sentences with subordinate classes in order to vary the writing. Students who have the knowledge to understand these comments have concrete ways of improving their writing. For other students, a teacher might say that some sentences are awkward or that the writing sounds repetitive, but these comments are of no use unless the students have actual ways of correcting the mistakes. So, teaching grammar gives students important tools that allow them to write better and improve faster.

     Another reason why grammar instruction is important is because there are grammar sections on standardized tests. I am not a fan of these tests, but they exist, and it would be irresponsible to ignore them. I would be doing my students a great disservice if I did not prepare them for these tests. As Christy (2005) writes, “With the widespread institution of standards and high-stakes tests, students are expected to recognize and use correct grammar. Educators can no longer afford to assume that students acquire an accurate understanding of formal language structures through reading, writing, and speaking” (p. 1).

     So, grammar should be taught. I have seen first hand how it benefits students' writing development, and it is an important part of the most important tests the students may ever take. Therefor, don't just teach it; teach it well. Make it engaging; make it important; and, make it fun.


     

References

Christy, J. (2005). To Teach or Not to Teach (Grammar)—No Longer the Question. Teaching Today.   Glencoe/McGraw-Hill. New York, NY. Retrieved from http://www.glencoe.com/sec/teachingtoday/subject/to_teach.phtml


McKenna, M. C. & Robinson, R. D. (2005). Teaching through text: Reading and writing in the content       areas (4th ed). Allyn & Bacon.


1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely not one who needs to be convinced that teaching grammar is important! As you point out in your other post, the challenge is figuring out how to teach grammar in ways that engage our students. You make a very important point about the difficult task of helping students with their writing when they have no grammar knowledge to assist them. Without the grammar background knowledge, my students are not only unaware that they have made errors, but they also do not know what I am talking about when I try to work with them to make corrections. Grammar is indeed a tool, and I think we should take every opportunity to reinforce that across disciplines. Writing across the Curriculum and other school-wide writing initiatives are definitely a good start.

    ReplyDelete